Time of Recruiting

Q. Are there JDP recruitments every year?

A. 2 recruitment occasions are scheduled every year for April and October commencements. However, if the slots for the year fills up at the April commencement, there will be no recruitment for the October commencement. It is strongly encouraged to apply for the April commencement.

Q. When does the admission open for JDP?

A. For the April 2018 commencement, the admission is opened in June 2017, and as for the October 2018 commencement, it will be opened between January and March 2017. Since these programs have just been lunched, the time of recruitment will vary from year to year. Please consult us or check the Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya University or our webpage.


Q. I don’t have an English proficiency test score. Is the English proficiency score needed at the time of application submission?

A. In principal, an English proficiency test score is required at the time of application. However, please consult with us when there are test taking opportunities shortly after the application deadline. It is significantly important to have the required English ability to conduct the research. It is strongly recommended to continue to brush up on your English.

Q. What if the score does not meet the required level or it expired?

A. Please consult with us first. After passing the preliminary screening, the partner university may request to have Skype meetings to evaluate your English ability.

Q. I am currently in my 3rd year in PhD. Is it possible to transfer my major to JDP?

A. Unfortunately at 3rd year, transferring to JDP is not allowed. As principal, no transferring allowed. Occasionally when there are opening slots, application may be opened for transferring PhD students strictly in their 1st year.

Tuition and Fees

Q. The guidelines said that “at completion, a student receive a joint named diploma.” Does that mean that applicants have to pay tuition fees only once to both universities? Or do applicants have to pay separate admission fees to each the partner university and Nagoya University?

A. Applicants are not required to pay any extra admission fees or tuition fees to the partner university. Applicants are only required to pay admission fees and tuition fees to the principal university, which is Nagoya University.


Q. Do PIs have to accept a student from a partner university in the future in return for sending his / her student?

A. There is no exchange condition to accept a student from a partner university. However, when there is a request, we would like you to consider accepting a student within a possible range.

Q. Are all courses available?

A. There is a large number of courses and a wide range of researches available at both the University of Adelaide and Lund University. We will try our best to find an appropriate laboratory for each student.


Q. I am currently in the Division of Clinical Medicine. Is it possible to continue to conduct my studies in the same clinical medicine laboratory at a partner university?

A. The partner universities have various laboratories, and fundamentally, most of the laboratories can participate in the JDP. However, if it is difficult to satisfy the first choice, there is a possibility of conducting the research in a Basic Medicine or Radiology department.

Q. I do not have a JDP supervisor in the partner university. Could I still apply?

A. First, we encourage you to find a desirable supervisor by searching the partner university’s HP or professors’list, and please let us know if you find one. The Office of International Affairs, Nagoya University will assist you to find your desired laboratory. Then before enrolment, Skype meetings will be conducted in order to set up a collaborative research project.

After Enrolment

Q. I am concerned about my research progress. During study abroad, I may not be able to conduct my research which means that I have to finish the research before going abroad.

A. The research will be conducted at both universities. The goal of this course is to conduct a collaborative research, so you can continue to pursue your project while you are at the partner university.

Top page