How to Apply (Doctoral Course)
The information for the 2013 academic year (beginning April 2013) admissions
1. Admission Openings
161 applicants (total of 1st and 2nd acceptance; including applicants of workers*)
*Workers' occupation must be defined as doctors or investigators engaged at hospitals, institutions and public office who never lose their status at their offices or companies attended after the entrance. (Applicants of workers' must make sufficient arrangements beforehand with both the employer and the academic adviser whom the applicants intend to ask instruction)
2. Eligibility Requirements
Those who meet one of the following qualifications are eligible to apply for Doctoral Course.
(1) Have graduated or will graduate from a Japanese university or college of curriculum of medicine, dentistry or 6-year course of veterinary by medicine March 31, 2013.
(2) Have completed at least 18 years of formal education abroad (the final specialization must be medicine, dentistry or 6-year course of veterinary medicine) or will complete 18 years of formal education by March 31, 2013.
(3) Have received or will receive Master’s Degree by March 31, 2013, or have obtained any other qualification recognized by the Japanese Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (April 8th, 1955, Ministry Bulletin, Vol.39).
(4) Have completed or will complete 18 years of formal education in Japan (the final specialization must be medicine, dentistry, or 6-year course of veterinary medicine) through correspondence education managed by a foreign school or other recognized educational institution by March 31, 2013.
(5) Have graduated or will graduate from a university in Japan that is a recognized university belonging to the system of higher education of a foreign country and is approved by the Japanese Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (only those who have completed at least 18 years of formal education) by March 31, 2013.
(6) Have completed 16 years of formal education abroad (without completion of medicine, dentistry, or 6-year course of veterinary medicine) or will graduate from a university or college by March 31, 2013, followed by research for at least 2 years at a university or research institute, with the result of the research recognized by the Graduate School of Medicine as equivalent with, or superior to the graduate from a school of medicine, dentistry, or 6-years course of veterinary medicine.
(7) Have been recognized by Graduate School of Medicine as those who were on the register at an accredited university (completion of medicine, dentistry, or 6-year course of veterinary medicine) for no less than 4 years or completed at least 16 years of formal education abroad by March 31, 2013 (the final specialization must be medicine, dentistry or veterinary medicine), and received necessary units of credit with good record or expected to do so by March 31, 2013.
(8) Have been recognized by Graduate School of Medicine based on individual screening of qualifications as having equal academic abilities as a university graduate, and of an age not less than 24 by March 31, 2013.
Notice 1: Those who apply by the above requirement item (6), (7) or (8) must refer to the page “Preliminary Screening of Eligibility.”
The first time
Applicants will be acccepted from 9:00am to 4:00pm from July 2, 2012 to July 3, 2012 at the administration office of Graduate School of Medicine. In case of mailing, it is requested to send them by regiatered mail, which must reach the office by 4:00pm on July 7, 2012 .
The second time
Applicants will be acccepted from 9:00am to 4:00pm from December 19, 2012 to December 26, 2012 at the administration office of Graduate School of Medicine. In case of mailing, it is requested to send them by regiatered mail, which must reach the office by 4:00pm on December 26, 2012 .
NOTES: No extensions will be granted; applications received after the filing period will NOT be accepted by admissions committee.
4. Subject, Date and Room of Entrance Examination
Subject: 1. Foreign Language (English) 2. Specialized Area for Research (written exam)
Date: (The first time) August 15, 2012 (Wed.) (The second time) January 17, 2013 (Thu.)
Time: 1. 10:00am-12:00pm 2. 1:30pm-3:30pm
Room: The 4th lecture room at building for medical research
NOTES: Use of dictionaries for the examination of foreign Language (English) is prohibited.
5. Announcement of successful Candidates
Date: (The first time) 10:00am September 21, 2012 (Fri.) (The second time) 10:00am February 8, 2013 (Fri.)
No telephone inquiries are accepted.
Location: Announcement will be put on the bulletin board located next of the Admission Office of Graduate School of Medicine
Notification: Official letters of admission will be sent out by mail after the annoucement.
6. Required Documents
The following documents should be submitted to the Admission Office of Graduate School of Medicine.
Please fill out in Japanese or English and send the original forms provided in this application guidebook.
(1) Application Form for Admission and Curriculum Vitae (both side printing / prescribed form / 1 copy): Applicants must decide their specialized area for research in advance.
Approval by the professor or associate professor of the field is required.
(2) Purpose of Application (prescribed form / 1 copy)
(3) Certificate of graduation / expected graduation from the most recent graduating university (1 copy): Graduates from Nagoya University, Graduate School of Medicine do not have to submit this certificate.
(4) Transcript (1 copy): It must be officially sealed by the most recent graduating university or college.
(5) Admission Ticket for the exam・Photograph Card (prescribed form)
(6) Photograph (2 copies) :Attach each photograph (4cm×3cm, upper body, bareheaded, front face, taken within the last 3 months) to the Application form for Admission and Curriculum Vitae (1) and the Photograph Card (5).
(7) Envelope for Reply (3 pieces):
a. One to send the Admission Ticket for the Examination and One to send pass-fail notification: prescribed envelopes (small size) with clearly self-addressed, signed and stamped equivalent with 350 yen (as an express mail charge)
b. One for notification of entrance procedure: prescribed envelope (33cm×24cm) with clearly self-addressed, signed and stamped equivalent with 510 yen (as an express mail charge)
(8) Certificate of Alien Registration Matters (1 copy): This is for those applicants currently residing in Japan; This certificate must include your visa status, and is available at your local ward/city office. If you are unable to obtain Alien Registration Card, please contact the Admission Office of Graduate School of Medicine.
(9) Application Fee: 30,000 Japanese Yen is required (non-refundable). Please use a Japanese Postal Money Order with no entry in section “to be paid to” or “指定受取人欄.” Applicants with Japanese Government Scholarships are requested to submit the certificates of receiving scholarships instead of application fee.
(10) Receipt (for applicant)・Receipt (for office use only) (prescribed form / 1 copy): Submit with all the required items filled out.
7. Related Information
•For those sending applications by (registered) mail , applications MUST reach the office within the filing period. Applications received after the filing period will NOT be accepted.
•Applications with misdescription may not be accepted.
•After applications are filed, no changes in submitted documents are permitted. The fee of 30,000 yen is non refundable.
•Admission ticket for the examination will be sent in the beginning of August, 2012 (the first time), in the beginning of January, 2013 (the second time).